Query: Why "she" in reference to a ship?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 07:15:15 UTC 2006

But Russian has grammatical gender, whereas English doesn't. When
translating from Russian into English, you ignore the fact that "ship"
may be masculine in Russian and use whatever is correct for English.
Hence, Russian "he" will be translated as English "she." It's apples
and oranges.

In Old English, which also had grammatical gender, the word for "ship"
was neuter, as it still is, logically, in contemporary English.
Unfortunately, I know nothing of the history of the convention of
using the feminine pronoun to refer to ships.

-Wilson