"acte veberien"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 16 15:55:36 UTC 2006

Neil, my apologies.  I did understand that "veberien" was a typo for
"venerien".  When I wrote "How logical--first the act, then the
disease.  Ich verstehe", I was trying to make two jokes:  (1) A
comment on the order in which the two senses of "venereal" are listed
in the OED:  first, "associated with sexual intercourse", and second,
"communicated by sexual intercourse".  (2) An obscure reference to
Max Weber, who was known for his use of the term "verstehen".

Full disclosure:  I did not know about "verstehen" until I went to
"Verstehen: Max Weber's Home Page": "Weber used the term to refer to
the social scientist's attempt to understand both the intention and
the context of human action."

Joel