Ivy Colleges (1934)

Tue Jan 17 18:19:54 UTC 2006

OED has 1939 for "ivy league"

" W. Lax Overcomes Early Deficit for Win" _Harvard Crimson_  March 23,
1920

"Harvard will now travel to Providence on Saturday to take on Brown for
the Crimson's first Ivy League contest.  "We are looking at each game
expecting them to be a good team," Corkery said.  "It's an Ivy League
game, and it's great to beat B.C. and go in to this game with the
momentum." "

[Note:  this turns up on the Harvard Crimson archives -- but it looks
hinky to me.]

OED has 1943 for "ivy leaguer"

Maine | Augusta | Daily Kennebec Journal | 1937-11-08 p. 2 col 5.
"Navy knocked off another Ivy-Leaguer, Columbia, 13-6, despite the
continued excellence of Sid Luckmann's passing."