Ivy Colleges (1934)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jan 17 20:08:43 UTC 2006

About six years ago Barry presented several long e-mails on "Ivy League," and I started compiling them for a treatment of his in Comments on Etymology. But about that time a book appeared on the origin of the term (I forget who wrote it), and it was clear that the author had independently (and previously) found the same material as Barry.
   Anyway, the subject is already well researched.

Gerald Cohen

> ----------
> From:         American Dialect Society on behalf of Fred Shapiro
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>
> > " W. Lax Overcomes Early Deficit for Win" _Harvard Crimson_  March 23,
> > 1920
> >
> > "Harvard will now travel to Providence on Saturday to take on Brown for
> > the Crimson's first Ivy League contest.  "We are looking at each game
> >
> > [Note:  this turns up on the Harvard Crimson archives -- but it looks
> > hinky to me.]
>
> Yes, Barry has brought this up before.  It's clearly misdated.
>
> Fred Shapiro

<snip>