"OK" Chef symbol (C hicago Tribune, June 3, 1917)

Tue Jan 17 20:35:02 UTC 2006

In a message dated 1/17/06 3:17:01 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

> An ad in the June 3, 1917 Chicago Tribune, page 2, for Yacht Club Salad
> Dressing by Tildesley & Co., 350 N. Clark St., Chicago.
> A person called "The Chef" is making the "OK" sign, so familiarly seen on
> pizza boxes 50 years later.

Is he saying 'OK' or something else? I assume this means making a circle with
the thumb and second finger, which means different things in different
cultures. At any rate, Barry is raising some really interesting (to me) semiotic
issues here.