Query: Why "she" in reference to a ship?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 17 23:15:03 UTC 2006

My memory is longer than yours, Fritz. _Scip_ is neuter. You could
look it up, to coin a  phrase. BTW, is your article on line anywhere?
I wouldn't mind reading it.

Klaus, a German friend of mine, once pointed out to me that, if I was
going to address him as "Klaeuschen," neuter, then I also had to refer
to him as "es," likewise neuter, and not as "er," masculine. That's
obvious, once you think about it: like goes with like.

Given that grammatical gender is illogical and, so far, it has defied
explanation, what terms could MFN be replaced by that wouldn't be just
as arbitrary and opaque, absent a coherent theory of grammatical
gender?

-Wilson