Query: Why "she" in reference to a ship?

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Jan 18 02:36:06 UTC 2006

Anne Curzan gives several examples of OE nouns (e.g. wif) behaving according to biological gender against their grammatical gender assignments in her book, Gender Shifts in the History of English (2003, Cambridge). I think she may also discuss similar examples of gender reassignment with inanimate nouns, but I don't have the book with me now.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Laurence Horn
Sent: Tue 1/17/2006 6:38 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: Query: Why "she" in reference to a ship?

Again, even that's a necessary condition, it can't be
sufficient--it's not an accident that it's ships, cars, and countries
(each canonically conducted or piloted by a male "driver") that
retain their OE feminine in the form of a pronoun and not tables,
feathers, or whatever.  (Sorry I don't know enough OE to come up with
actual examples of feminine OE nouns that are never anything but "it"
now, but virtually any will do other than the above short list.)

larry