Ivy Colleges (1934)

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jan 18 06:27:11 UTC 2006

In this connection, I've been trying to date the use of 'ivy league'
to refer to styles of clothing or a certain voice. manner, etc. The
earliest cites I've come up with are from the mid-50's:

Trimly tailored Bermuda shorts, neat blazers, smooth flannels, and
bulky twees all contrived to give an "ivy league" menswear look to
the fashions shown yesterday at the opening of Abraham & Strauss'
college shop. NYT Jul 20, 1954

Junior now asks for soft Oxford cloth shirts with button-down collars
to be worn with his good suit, the suit being as slim in cut as the
most severe Ivy League model. NYT 11/9/55

My guess is that this goes back earlier, though.

Geoff Nunberg