bardacious (= bodacious??)

Wed Jan 18 23:18:55 UTC 2006

OED has:
bodacious, a. U.S. dial.  Complete, thorough, arrant. Also as adv
1845 W. T. THOMPSON Chron. Pineville 178 She's so bowdacious
unreasonable when she's raised.

I'm not sure if the following cite matches the definition above, or the
1976 OED sense ("Excellent, fabulous, great. ")

"CUBS WIN, 3 TO 1, AND START EAST." by CHARLES DRYDEN
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963); May 6, 1907; pg. 6 col 1.
"Overall was good, so was the descendant of kings, and the fielding was
bodacious if anybody knows what that means." ["Overall" was Orval
Overall ; "descendant of kings" was Charles Phillippe.]

And to further confuse matters, see this cite, later from the same year,
by the same writer:

"SOX WIN A WEIRD GAME, 16-2" CHARLES DRYDEN. _Chicago Daily Tribune_ Aug
20, 1907, pg. 7 col 2.
"No wonder the heavens cracked open and the rain descended in bodacious
torrents."