casting couches & fish skins

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Jan 19 06:58:22 UTC 2006

>... Finally, at an earlier moment in the movie, when she first has
>extricated his prick from his trousers and is resting it on her hand,
>he orders her to "blow on it".  She does.  He repeats the order, in
>larger letters, and a third time.  Is this erotic practice the origin
>of the term "blowjob"?

"She does" means what? If she blows on it as one might blow on a spoonful
of hot soup, then I suppose a joke is being made: he would prefer her to
blow on it as one blows on, say, a saxophone (sort of). But if she blows on
it as if on a wind instrument, in truth, she still sets herself up for
another (more familiar) joke ... right?

I have seen "play the flute" or equivalent applied metaphorically to
fellatio in literature from >500 years ago, I think. I believe the metaphor
is based on the gross appearance of the activity ... while the dynamic
details are quite different ... or so I'm told.

I believe "blow [job]" is probably based on such a metaphor (visual
comparison to playing a wind instrument, or blowing up a balloon, or
something like that).

-- Doug Wilson