word for "overly fond of one's children"?

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Thu Jan 19 15:49:59 UTC 2006

>        My name is Michael Paris and I am currently a sophomore studying
>Linguistics at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.  I have been
>researching, though to no avail, for a word that means "overly fond of
>one's children."

I'm curious as to why you think there should be such a term.  Can you offer
an example of when/where you might want to use it?

Seems to me that there may be no perceived need for a term with this
particular meaning, since fondness for one's children is generally seen as
a positive trait, without the possibility of being excessive (unless
expressed in harmful behavior, as addressed below). 'Overly,' then, needs
to be examined in your formulation.

Misdirected 'fondness' is probably most often expressed by the verb
'spoil,' commonly used in the adjectival form:  'spoiled child,' but also
seen as parent who is 'spoiling' a child.  I've never seen or heard an
adectival form of this ('spoiling parent'), but a parent 'who spoils'
somewhat fits your definition, as a parent 'who is overly fond of one's
children'...as seen in overindulgent behavior.

A 'smothering' parent might also be seen as misdirected over-fondness, but
rather imprecisely, I think.

One can 'spoil' other entities than one's children of course (e.g.,
spouses, pets...). But 'to spoil' is more closely associated with one's
children than other terms like indulge/indulgent, which are applied to just
about anyone/thing, including 'self-indulgent.'

Michael McKernan, Ph.D.
94 Buttercup Lane
Westminster West, VT 05346

mckernan at localnet.com