iomega help conversation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 20 18:59:40 UTC 2006

At 11:29 AM -0500 1/20/06, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>You-all will surely like this. It's for real. (Typos fixed.)

Not only "need replaced" but "showing out of warranty".  Very nice.
Reminds me that I recently came across a naturalistic (if not
natural) example of the rarer "like" + p.pcpl. construction discussed
in some work by Tom Murray and Beth Lee Simon (their locus classicus
was "The baby likes cuddled").

"Would you like massaged there as well?" Mindy asked softly. Tyler
looked at his girlfriend, and saw her nod in enthusiastic approval.

The referent of the pro-adverbial will be left as an exercise for the
reader (as well as for Mindy).  Similar examples can be googled up:

He likes touched too.

I'm looking for a discrete long-term or short-term sexual adventure
with a woman that likes cuddled, fondled, lickedŠ

All sorts of interesting stuff going on in Pittsburgh and eastern
Ohio, it would seem, in between fielding iOmega helpline calls...

larry