some quotations on memories

Sat Jan 21 18:15:31 UTC 2006

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> cites Martin Duberman:

[...]  In any case I believe I have made the point that I
know almost nothing of my father's past (and perhaps secondarily also
provided an apologue of how both "first-hand" accounts and the
historian himself can create obstacles to "reconstructing the past").

<<<<<

Aha! A new word (to me): "apologue". NOT equivalent to either "apology" or
"apologia", but even more a term of art than the latter, according to OED
Online:

An allegorical story intended to convey a useful lesson; a moral fable.
(Applied more especially to a story in which the actors or speakers are
taken from the brute creation or from inanimate nature.)

m a m