"San Antone"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 23 20:20:42 UTC 2006

My feeling is that, in Texas outside of  San Antonio, "Sanantone" is
the quasi-official pronunciation. I remember being in the Greyhound
Bus station in Lubbock in the '50's and hearing the announcement, "Bus
no.X now departing for here, there, elsewhere, and SANANTONE!"
[emphasis in the original].

If there were foreigners or even just non-Texans, waiting for that
bus, sad on them, because the relationship between "San Antonio" and
"Sanantone" is less than transparent. My father "ran on the road"
during WWII, on a train called "The Sunshine Special." (Yes, it is the
same train immortalized in the blues song by Blind Lemon Jefferson.)
The train was said to run "from Sant Louris tuh Sanantone," passing
through Marshall, Texas, my birthplace, on the way.

-Wilson