"San Antone"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 23 21:15:28 UTC 2006

I love stimulating needed research.

  Ten years back it would have taken one million of my own man-hours to unearth these exx.

  So I'da shined it on.

  JL

"Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC"
Subject: Re: "San Antone"

"The German Barber's Joke"
_Dallas Morning News_ 1885-10-19, Page 3 col 3
"Tutchy, gif me a San Antone shingle on der halluf shell, und a shampoo
cocktail."

"Off for San Antone" [cite in headline]
_Dallas Morning News_ 1885-10-19, Page 3 col 6
1890-08-10 Sec: Part 2 Page 16

"San Antone Letter" [cite in headline]
_Dallas Morning News_ 1894-06-17 Page 18 col 3.

"A View of Conditions" _DMN_ 1897-03-27 Page 4 col 2.
"Not long ago it [the Dallas Morning News] sang the praises of Uncle
Jake McGaughey, the poet legislator, who churned up the gulfs and seas
of literature with the great epic, "Excurting to Fair San Antone." "