Brokeback Mule

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 25 04:36:08 UTC 2006

As it happens, I have a recording of this song by Huey "Piano" Smith
and The Clowns. It doesn't make any reference to a "brokeback mule."
Of course, this is merely accidental, since folk songs have dozens, if
not hundreds, of variants. Smith''s version does make reference to
"rockin' an' rollin'. I doubt that the purely folkloric versions have
any such rereference. :-) Unfortunately, I can't recall the words of
the version that I learned as a child in Texas, back in the '40's,
though, somehow, I've never been able to forget the words to "Jump,
Jim Crow."

-Wilson Gray