Boondocks on "brokeback"

Wed Jan 25 18:41:01 UTC 2006

On Jan 25, 2006, at 4:19 AM, Doug Wilson wrote:

>> ... long list.  now that i'm back to one of my big atlases, i see no
>> "brokeback" or "broke-back", though there are the Brokeoff Mountains
>> straddilng NM and TX, just southwest of the Guadelupe Mountains.
>
> But try "Brokenback".

now i'm back away from my atlases again, until this evening.  are you
suggesting "Brokenback" because you think it's likely, or because
you've checked it and found something?

ah, googling on "Brokenback Mountain" leads me to the America's Roof
page on the subject:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/3897/message/1135882724/Only+2
+Brokenback+Mountains+in+U.S.+(TN-VA)

------
Response to Is There A Real Brokeback Mountain?
I did finally manage to simply do a query on "Broke" summits via the
USGS. There's no Brokeback Mountain summits in the U.S. There is though:
Brokenback Mountain, TN
Brokenback Mountain, VA
------

the full set of US broke summits:

Broken Mountain AK
Broken Finger Peak CA
Broken Hill CA
Broken Rib Mountain CA
Brokeoff Mountain CA
Broken Hill CO
Broken Hand Peak CO
Red Mountain ID
Broken Top ID
Broken Top Butte ID
Broken Leg Mountain MT
Broken Bone Hill ND
Broken Ground NH
Broken Back Crater NM
Broke Off Mountain NM
Broken Hills NV
Old Croken NY
Broken Top OR
Brokenback Mountain TN
Brokeleg Mountain TX
Brokenback Mountain VA

there's also a Brokenback Mountain Range in Australia (NSW)

most of the pages you get for "Brokenback Mountain", though, are
about the movie, with the title "fixed".

arnold