incent : a big SOTA

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jan 26 16:05:01 UTC 2006

        Well, let's see, there's abort, abuse, act, adapt, addict . . .
.  Are you restricting this to back-formations?

        I'm with Mark:  I hate "incentivize."  I'm not wild about
"incent," partly because we have the perfectly serviceable word
"motivate" that is often better.  Still, "incent" is not a perfect
synonym of "motivate," it's a short word whose meaning is clear, and I
don't personally associate it with "incense" or "incest," so I can't get
on board with it as a SOTA.

        FYI, the Microsoft Outlook spell-checker flags "incentivize" but
not "incent."

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:22 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: incent : a big SOTA

One more obnoxifying fact about "to incent" is that its users seemto be
insufficiently fluent in their native language simply to employ a
"functional shift" to create a new verb. To "incentive the consumer"
sounds pretty lame too, but at bottom it's comparatively eloquent.

  Can anyone name another verb that, like "incent," is formed by
dropping the "-ive" from a familiar English noun ?

  JL

  ---------------------- Information from the mail header