"Hook up" = have casual sex?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 26 21:12:07 UTC 2006

At 2:22 PM -0500 1/26/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Aw, geez, Lar. Prior to 1993?! Damn! I'm way older than I thought I was. ;-)

naah, you're just living a sheltered life

[and earlier, Wilson also wrote...]

>  > >Till now, I've thought of a "hook-up" as a real relationship that
>  > >includes sex and not as a term that includes random acts of casual sex
>  > >within a "friendship with privileges." Perhaps I need to get out more.

"random hookup" is in fact a fairly frequent collocation, as is
"casual hookup": 626 and 2000 raw google hits respectively.  (If
anything, I'd have guessed more instances of the former than there
were, but 626 isn't bad.)

LH