Hazelnuts/Filberts/Cob Nuts

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 26 22:10:47 UTC 2006

Never heard of a "cob nut."

  JL

FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: FRITZ JUENGLING
Subject: Hazelnuts/Filberts/Cob Nuts

I have a colleague who has an orchard and asked the staff if any of us would like to purchase "Hazelnuts/Filberts/Cob Nuts."
Now, if the pop/soda debate gets people's blood boiling, out here in Oregon the Hazelnut/Filbert divide can lead to warfare. Forget the Hatfields and McCoys. Being the hazelnut/filbert capital of the world, we take our nuts seriously.
Nevertheless, I'm familiar with hazelnut and filbert, but had never heard or seen 'cob nut.' My buddy said it was a term in use in the early part of the last century, but couldn't give any more info. Has anyone else ever heard 'cob nut'?
Would appreciate any info--even to the negative.
Fritz J