"Trump-tight"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 27 19:20:49 UTC 2006

It's used just of superior skill. That's an interesting thought,
actually. I've always kinda vaguely wondered why the St. Louis version
stands alone. When I hear "run/work game," I think, "There's a very
good possibility that someone has been played/confidenced(another St.
Louis peculiarity: the use of the full form of this
verb)/scammed/suckered." The possibility is that "whip game" is simply
a different lexical item from "running/working game." "Whipping game"
is done openly, as a display of superior skill, for bragging rights,
the delectation of the spectators, and the right to front off the
losers by telling them to "Rise and fly!": Get up out of those seats
and let the next pair of chumps sit down. Bid whist games are usually
played in the form of impromptu tournaments, with other partner-pairs
waiting to challenge the victors.

Of course, game can be whipped in any set of circumstances involviing
generally-friendly competition, including the battle of the sexes.

When I was in the Army, I occasionally met white guys who knew this
card game, but they called it "kitty whist."

-Wilson