"Eat your brown bread first" (1822)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 29 00:45:32 UTC 2006

I was just in the process of throwing out (everything must go in  this
apartment except Barry Manilow CDs) HINTS TO YOUNG TRADESMEN, AND  MAXIMS FOR
MERCHANTS (Boston: Perkins & Marvin, 1838), and found on page  21:
It is a plain, but very sensible maxim, that _it is best to eat your brown
bread first_; nor do we know a better rule to guide a young man in his outset
in  life, than the principle which is embodied in this saying.
Huh? I gotta follow this at Subway?

_MISCELLANY.;  Rules for young tradesmen, and apprenticvs. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=799563042&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=6&VInst=PROD&VType=P
QD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1138494639&clientId=65882)
N Y  Mechanics' Gazette. Christian Register  (1821-1835). Boston: May 24,
1822. Vol. 1, Iss. 41; p. 164 (1 page)  :
It is a plain but rustic saying, _Eat you brown bread first;_ nor is there  a
better rule for a young man's outset in the world. (...) _N. Y. Mechanics'
Gazette._
_"EAT  YOUR BROWN BREAD FIRST."_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=337356771&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=113
8495047&clientId=65882)
Godey's Lady's Book and  Magazine (1854-1882). New York: Jun 1866. Vol. 72;
p. 524 (1 page)  :
"EAT YOUR BROWN BREAD FIRST."--It is a plain, but faithful saying, "Eat  your
brown bread first;" nor is there a better rule for a young man's outset in
the world.
_Article  2 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=246098521&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1138495155&
clientId=65882)
Saturday Evening Post (1839-1885).  Philadelphia: Jan 15, 1876. Vol. Vol.
LV., Iss. No.25.; p. 3 (1 page)
_Welcome to the Canada Agriculture Museum_
(http://www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/english/tour/expressions.cfm)
... Know on which side your bread is buttered.  The upper crust. Breadwinner.
It is a good thing to eat your  brown bread first. It’sa lot of dough. ...
www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/  english/tour/expressions.cfm - 6k -
Supplemental Result -  _Cached_
(http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:In_oiJVLdQkJ:www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/english/tour/expressions.cfm+"eat+your+brown+bread+
first"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.agriculture.technomuses.ca/engli
sh/tour/expressions.cfm)
<NO
<NO
<NO
_By Language/French/Kitchen Wall Decor from  WiseDecor ..._
(http://www.wisedecor.com/decor/customer/home.php?cat=329)
Si tu manges ton pain blanc le premier, tu manges  ton pain noir plus tard.
French to English Translation: It is a good  thing to eat your brown bread
first. ...
www.wisedecor.com/decor/customer/home.php?cat=329 -  107k - _Cached_
(http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:cYYT1tbatc0J:www.wisedecor.com/decor/customer/hom
e.php?cat=329+"eat+your+brown+bread+first"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&ie=UTF-8)
 - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.wisedecor.com/decor/customer/home.php?cat=329)
<NO
<NO
<NO
_French Country Kitchens_
(http://www.french-decor-lettering.com/french-country-kitchens.html)  - [ _Translate this page_
(http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.french-decor-lettering.com/french-country-kitche
ns.html&prev=/search?q=%22eat+your+brown+bread+first%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8)
]
    It is a good thing to eat your  brown bread first. Si tu manges ton pain
blanc le premier,  tu manges ton pain noir plus tard. ...
www.french-decor-lettering.com/  french-country-kitchens.html - 8k -
_Cached_
(http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:UcDEJ_X5xWUJ:www.french-decor-lettering.com/french-country-kitchens.html+"eat+your+brown+bread+first"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=
clnk&cd=5&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.french-decor-lettering.com/french-country-kitchens.htm
l)
<NO
<NO
<NO
_B_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/spurgeon/NEW10spurgeon_a4.htm)
in England We say, “eat your brown bread  first.” while a Young Man is
single let him live hard,  that in after years he may not be forced to keep to “
bread  ...
www.godrules.net/library/spurgeon/NEW10spurgeon_a4.htm  - 126k - Supplemental
Result - _Cached_
(http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:fRwj_tIvxQYJ:www.godrules.net/library/spurgeon/NEW10spurgeon_a4.htm+"eat+your+brown+bread+first"&hl=
en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.godrules.net/library/spurgeon/NEW10spurgeo
n_a4.htm)
<NO
<NOBR>
_Beggars_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic189.htm)   must not be
choosers, Take gratefully what is given thee, O  man, for what art then but a
mendicant at the _gate_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic797.htm)
  of _mercy_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic1252.htm)   Begin
on porridge, that you may end with _chicken_
(http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic345.htm) .
This is the Scotch form of very good _advice_
(http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic43.htm) ,  and it means — _Live_
(http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic1186.htm)   at first with great frugality, that you may rise in
the _world_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic2070.htm) ,  and have
easy times later on. It is to be _feared_
(http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic707.htm)   that many begin with the _chicken_
(http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic345.htm) ,  and what they will end with we can easily
guess. In England we  say, “Eat  your brown _bread_
(http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic269.htm)   first.” While a young man is single let him
_live_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic1186.htm)   hard, that in after
years he may not be forced to keep to  “bread and pull it;” but may have
pullet with his _bread_ (http://www.godrules.net/library/topics/topic269.htm) .