ADS, aka...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 29 21:00:56 UTC 2006

At 2:34 AM -0500 1/29/06, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>With the lingering topicality of "truthiness" in the aftermath of Frey
>v. Oprah, the WOTY vote is still getting the occasional media mention.
>But when pundits use "truthiness" to bemoan society's neglect of
>factual truth, don't count on them to actually, you know, check their
>facts. Here are two alternate names for the ADS that columnists have
>recently come up with:
>
>"American Dialectic Society"
>http://www.postchronicle.com/commentary/article_2124594.shtml
>
>With the lingering topicality of "truthiness" in the aftermath of Frey
>v. Oprah, the WOTY vote is still getting the occasional media mention.
>But when pundits use "truthiness" to bemoan society's neglect of
>factual truth, don't count on them to actually, you know, check their
>facts. Here are two alternate names for the ADS that columnists have
>recently come up with:
>
>"American Dialectic Society"
>http://www.postchronicle.com/commentary/article_2124594.shtml

Curiously, none of the actual examples we brought up as arguments for
the selection of truthiness are cited here--it's all Teddy Kennedy
and John Kerry.  Apparently the current administration, being
Christian and God-fearing, wouldn't go in for that sort of thing.  Or
maybe they're just looking at the transcripts of the discussion over
at the American Dialectic Society--you never know, with those
Hegelians...