query on "boid"s and "terlet"s

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 30 04:47:17 UTC 2006

I realize that this may be a waste of time. Perhaps what we have here
is a failure to communicate. IAC, this a common feature of BE. The
first documentation of this phenomenon among blacks that I know of -
I've never researched it, but Ann Fairbairn found the phenomenon
interesting enough that she makes it a point to draw her reader's
attention to it in her novel, _Five Smooth Stones_, published by Crown
Publishers in 1966. However, I've personally been accustomed to
hearing it fall trippingly from the tongues of BE speakers ever since
I was a child in Texas. In the old TV show, _Sanford & Son_, "terlet"
is the favored pronunciation of Fred Sanford's ace boon coon. It can
be heard on pretty much any blues record.

Is it the case that people are interested in the phenomenon only as it
is manifested among white people? Is that what I'm missing? In that
case, I regret the error, to coin a phrase. ;-)

-Wilson