OT: language awareness, linguistics, and freshman comp.

John E. Dews jedewsua at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 30 17:38:13 UTC 2006

Just for the record, I'd like to express my interest in this area as well! I'd love to hear from some of you who've been integrating language awareness (including dialectology) into freshman comp. (or other comp. classes). So, please either respond to the original query on the list, or include me in those off-list e-mails!! Thanks everyone -- love being a lurker here!
    Jed Dews

Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Amy West
Subject: OT: language awareness, linguistics, and freshman comp.

For the folks out there on English faculties who teach or have taught
freshman comp. I have a query for you:

Having survived teaching freshman comp for the first time recently,
I'm looking forward to taking another stab at it next fall. I'd like
to have a good language awareness component to it and I'm thinking of
some good assignments on that topic/theme.

I'm wondering if you've used and liked a particular grammar,
rhetoric, or reader that has covered some
linguistic/language-awareness stuff with your freshmen? I'm looking
at using some Deborah Tannen and Dinesh D'Souza essays, but haven't
gotten much farther than that. All the freshman comp. classes use the
Longman Writer's Companion as the grammar handbook.

Feel free to reply off-list, if you like.

---Amy West