Sound-change in BE

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 31 00:05:57 UTC 2006

I was thinking cross-contextually, but I consider your example to be
salient, nevertheless. This shift makes me wonder how much social
control has to do with language change. When I hear, e.g. "now"
pronounced as "naow," it fairly screams "Peckerwood lynch mob!" at me.
Clearly, it doesn't draw that same visceral response among the younger
coloreds. OTOH, even when I was a teen in the '50's, this "aow" sound
was common among teen-aged black girls in words like "ow now how
thousand bow how about out" etc.

This reminds me of something else. Joking sppeech among men tends to
be "hyper-blackenized," in this case, it takes the form of applying a
similar shift to long/tense "o" as in "flow." A prime example is
provided by the R&B song, "Riot in Cell Block no.9," in which the
soloist is the late, great Richard Berry, who wrote and originally
recorded the legendary "Louie, Louie." Its eye-dialect version is
something like the following:

Thih ride stahdid in sail block numbuh faow
Sprayid lak fi' acrost dih prison flaow
Dih wawdn sayid, "C'moan out witcho hanes up in dih A-uh
if you doank come out, you-all goang git dih chA-uh"
At five o'clock, the tee-uh gayss got owuh mee-in
But ev'rih now 'n' thee-in
ThA-uhz a ride gawin' oan
ThA-uhz a ride gawin' oan
Up in sail block numbuh nine