Snickerdoodles (1898)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 1 06:01:50 UTC 2006

This was transcribed as "snickerdoodies," but it is indeed  "snickerdoodles."
Who snickers at doodies?...I'll also post the full,  similar 1905 recipe
below (I had posted just the head notes).
I'm giving this and everything else everything away free to the Wikipedia
now, since no one reads my site anymore thanks to Google...Only one more week
until my "hot dog" work appears for free on the History Channel's "American
Eats."
(PROQUEST)
_Snickerdoodies_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=542506932&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1151732661&clientId
=65882)
M Elizabeth Adams. Boston Daily Globe  (1872-1960). Boston, Mass.: Jun 14,
1898. p. 8 (1 page)
Snickerdoodles
Three quarters of a cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of milk, 3 cups  of
flour, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon of soda. Mix; drop
on a tin in spoonfuls, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, and bake in quick
oven.
M. Elizabeth Adams.
_HOUSEHOLD  DEPARTMENT; True and Tried Recipes by Experienced Cooks. Hints
for Care of  Plants Flowers and Pets by New England Women. DAILY HINTS FOR EVERY
HOUSEKEEPER  BREAKFAST DINNER SUPPER CREAM MUFFINS Read Carefully. JULIANA'S
MINCE MEAT. KING  GEORGE'S PUDDING. DELICIOUS BROWN BREAD. SNICKERDOODLES.
DELICIOUS CORN CAKE.  COOKING NOTES AND COMMENTS PLANTS AND FLOWERS. PETS AND
PESTS. HOW TO MAKE DRESS  GOOD WATERPROFF. REQUESTS. REPLIES. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=694181582&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=P
QD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1151733049&clientId=65882)
Boston  Daily. Nov 20, 1905. p. 10 (1 page)
SNICKERDOODLES.
Trixey B.--Is this what you want? I cut it out of the Globe some two years
ago:
Cream 3/4 cup butter and 1 cup of sugar, then add 2 well-beaten eggs, 3/4
cup of milk and 2 1/2 cups of flour sifted with 2 teaspoonfuls cream of tartar
and 1 teaspoonful of soda. Beat well, drop on buttered tin in spoonfuls,
sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and bake in quick oven.
Helene I.