Anyroad (was: Anyroad)

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jul 3 17:50:56 UTC 2006

This has undergone Topic Shift so that now we're talking about *outwith* under
the *Anyroad* subject-line, but just another (few miscellaneous) observation(s)
about *anyroad*:

- Yes, it *does* appear in the James Herriot stories
- I think I've usually seen it written as two words
- A pretty common variant is *any road up*, also meaning 'anyway'.  Because of
the Northern marking, the *up* is always pronounced with [U], not schwa, and
*road* has [o@], a Northern English variant of [ow].  This isn't because it is
used by non-Northerners who find it necessary to take off a Northern accent
when they use it;  I don't think I've ever heard it used by a non-Northerner.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania