Loogie (1985)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 4 01:03:56 UTC 2006

Thanks for your parenthetical note, Dave! I was saying to myself,
"_slip_ a loogie"? Don't you _hawk_ a loogie?

BTW, are people here familiar with the use of "oyster" as a synonym
for loogie? When I was in the Army, a couple of other recruits were
laughing about the poor bastard who had stupidly picked up a gigantic
oyster while our unit was on post police (picking up all the trash off
the grass of the parade ground by hand). When I asked how anyone could
have come across an oyster in the middle of a grassy field, it was
explained to me that "oyster" was just another word for "hawker." The
latter term was also unfamiliar to me, but it didn'r need explanation
because I was familiar with "hawk" as "clear one's throat." You "blow"
a hawker, by the way.

-Wilson