"Cock" = rooster

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 5 02:50:35 UTC 2006

Charlie, the derivation is from the "cock" that means "faucet," now
obsolescent, if not fully obsolete, except in a few words such as
"petcock" and "stopcock." The basis of my claim is this.

About a quarter-century ago, I was paging through a book on homosexual
symbolism in art. Among the examples provided by the author(s?) was an
engraving of a small group of naked men in a large, indoor, public
bath. They were gathered together at one end of the pool. The
perspective was such that, at first glance, it appeared that some of
the men had their hands on the  flaccid, dripping penes / penises of
the other men, who were hung like horses. However, at second glance,
it was clear that the men were merely standing around the cocks
(faucets) used to fill the pool and some of them just happened to be
resting their hands on the said cocks (faucets), whose shape
coincidently and conveniently happened to be like unto that of a
flaccid penis.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-Wilson