Theodore Levitt and "Globalization"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Jul 7 19:21:51 UTC 2006

   Good point. But did Levitt perhaps popularize the term? I.e., is it possible that the term was very little used prior to Levitt and he then catapulted it into the big-time?

G. (which I am reliably informed stands for "gangsta" as a form of address) Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Sam Clements
Sent: Fri 7/7/2006 12:32 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Theodore Levitt and "Globalization"

The NY Times reported, in their July 6th story about his death, that he was <credited with coining the term "globalization"> in 1983.  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/06/business/06levitt.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This of course has been picked up by every news source in the world.

Ironic, in that as recently as 25 June, 2006,  ADS member Dave Wilton had antedated it to 1944.  http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0606D&L=ADS-L&P=R6896&I=-3

Sam Clements