FAQ (was Re: TIPS)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 8 00:28:51 UTC 2006

At 4:20 PM -0400 7/7/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Geoff Nathan's from T'ronna. In fact, he's the person who disabused me
>of the impression that the name of the city is "TuhRONtoe." Maybe
>he'll see this and let us know.
>
>-Wilson

Wilson, Geoff et/vel al.,

Can you or anyone on the list confirm (or disconfirm) that
Torontonians do call it "T'ronna" (or /'trAn@/, with A variously =
back unrounded /a/ or open-o)?  That's what I said once, and I was
corrected by someone who seemed to know (or to think he did) and who
claimed it was (more like) T'ronno, with final /o/ unstressed but
unreduced schwaward.  I'd be curious to know, since I use the example
in an inventory of least-effort reductions in local place names
(something we've discussed at length on various occasions--Clumps,
'Sconsin, Newpert News,...).

LH