"giant steps"/ "may-I"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 8 02:39:11 UTC 2006

Neither of these is in OED, though both name for the children's game were current in NYC in the mid '50s.  "Giant steps" should be included because Neil Armstrong's words from the Moon alluded to it.

  1926 _Elementary School Journal_ (Feb.) XXVI 427: A group of children were playing a game of "May-I" in connection with their language work.

  1953 Douglas Wallop _Night Light_ (N.Y.: Norton) 67: I want to play Giant Steps. I'm having fun.

  JL