fortunes of war...golden chain

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Jul 8 16:32:09 UTC 2006

I know that poem; I could have quoted it!  But I could not, for the life of me, figure out HOW I know it.  Since most of the stuff I read and teach comes from early periods of English literature, I thought maybe it would apprear in one of those 17th-century miscellanies of epigrams; it (apparently) does not.

But I DID find it, finally--in an unassuming location.  Years (and years) ago, I was teaching a freshman English course, using X. J. Kennedy's anthology Literature: An Introduction, 2d ed. (1979) as the basic textbook; the epigram in question appears on page 504, with the skimpy information "Anonymous (English) . . . (1854-56)."  Where Kennedy, a careful scholar (as well as a fine poet himself), got the poem, with such a precise dating, I do not know.

--Charlie