Eggcorn?

Sat Jul 8 16:40:23 UTC 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 10:38 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> ... the cheapness us students _strive_ on.

(wilson, it would help the eggcornistas if you'd give some sort of
source, even if it's just "overheard yesterday on a bus in New York
City" or the like.)

this one might just be an eggcorning "thrive on" >> "strive on", and
so might a few others you can google up, like:

Streaking Huskies strive on emotion. SWIMMING: UW sets four records,
clinches undefeated home season.
archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1997/020397/swim020397.html

This Noble Verse would apply not only to homosexuals, but also to
pornography promoters and other wicked people who strive on polluting
and destroying the ...
www.answering-christianity.com/houses.htm

The fact that one can easily tell if a mosque is a shia one or not
proves that shias strive on disuniting the Muslims!
www.answering-christianity.com/shia_mosques.htm

but even here there is some possible component of striving, of making
an effort.  many of the examples you can google up pretty clearly
have this as a prominent component of their meaning, and so look like
"strive for/after" >> "strive on", probably influenced by the very
common verb-particle combination "strive on" (as in "let us strive on
to finish the work we are in"), although in some cases there might be
a tinge of "thrive on" in there:

we value our customers and strive on customer service ...
www.pricewatch.com/brands/software_back-Up/yosemite_technologies-1.htm

At Royal Lapidary, we strive on quality, and competitive prices,
having served the tourist industry with honesty & integrity.
www.virtualtourist.com/.../Bangkok-1445238/Off_the_Beaten_Path-
Bangkok-Royal_Lapidary-BR-1.html

The Europe Region continues to strive on implementing the Hand
Sanitizer.
https://dmmonline.dscp.dla.mil/standardization/Europe/PDF_files/
overview/Summary_Mar05.pdf

Find out the easiest ways to survive and strive on the strict diet
and training! Also, find out exactly what Tracy does to get ready for
a contest! ...
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65729

We offer clean, comfortable and reasonably priced rooms for our
clients. We strive on happiness and satisfaction of our customers ...
www.onetravelsource.com/guide_hotels/US/NC/Fayetteville/

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)