[ADS-L] Cheeseburger-1923

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Jul 9 16:35:03 UTC 2006

Point taken.

sc
----- Original Message -----
From: <RonButters at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 12:28 PM
Subject: Re:       [ADS-L] Cheeseburger-1923

Except that, if the man's lastg name had been "Smith," he still might have
been called "Cheese" Smith. By that I mean, "Cheese" was surely a fairly
common
nick-name, and the fact that Mr. Burger was known   as "Cheese"may well have
had nothing to do with the sandwich.

There was a lot of interest in AMERICAN SPEECH in the early days in the
various 'burger' terms. Did you check that?   I did a lot of research on
STEAKBURGER a couple of years ago, which is how I know about the AS
interest.