Re: [ADS-L] Cheeseburg er-1923

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Jul 9 16:47:40 UTC 2006

Did she really think that a hamburger was made of "ham?"   I wonder if the
cite was talking about alternative sandwiches that were available in 1938,
which included concoctions made of chicken or ham as alternatives to ground
beef?   Seriously.

Sam Clements

----- Original Message -----
From: <RonButters at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 12:37 PM
Subject: Re:       Re: [ADS-L] Cheeseburger-1923

“The ending of ‘hamburger’ is having good success irradiating itself.
Cheeseburgers, made of ham and cheese,   and chickenburgers may now be had
in many
dining places as well as at highway stands” (Louise Pound, American Speech
13.8: 157; Pound taught at the University of Nebraska and lived in Lincoln
for
most of her life).

The fact that Pound thought (in 1938( that cheeseburgers were made from ham
suggests that the cheeseburger as we know it is not very new.