Re: [ADS-L] Cheeseburg er-1923

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Jul 9 18:00:39 UTC 2006

>Did she really think that a hamburger was made of "ham?"   I wonder if the
>cite was talking about alternative sandwiches that were available in 1938,
>which included concoctions made of chicken or ham as alternatives to ground
>beef?   Seriously.
>
>Sam Clements

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Having been acquainted with Lincoln in the thirties, I can attest to
awareness that hamburgers were made of ground beef there at that time.  I
also "knew," in a sense, Louise Pound, in that she was a family friend &
colleague of my father's ("Miss Pound," to us kids, of course),  but cannot
say what her eating habits were.  To me, "hamburger" required a bun,
"hamburger steak," was opaque  until someone explained it.  There was some
point at which  a"cheeseburger" (in the sense of ground beef with a slice
of cheese  in a bun) was an innovation, as far as I was concerned.  By the
time I was in highschool (after the war) I knew well enough what they were.
Miss Pound's use of "cheeseburgers " & "chickenburgers" in parallel
suggests to me that the bun may have been definitive for her also.
AM