The [Place] [Number] (was Re: A Texan jail)

Wed Jul 12 11:37:12 UTC 2006

> My partner also remembers a bunch of runaway(?) pigs that were due for
> "execution" that were called The ???? Three (he thinks it was three),
> but the details of that are a bit shaky.

Those were the Tamworth Two, a name which referred to the breed of pig,
not the abattoir, which was in Malmesbury, Wiltshire. There were more bad
puns created about that story than any other I can remember, with the pigs
being dubbed Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Pig, shortened to Butch and
Sundance.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words