The Dozens

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 13 18:30:29 UTC 2006

Page, as for the limericks, I doubt their communal composition was popular among working-class African-Americans a century ago, especially in groups of twelve.  Nor do I believe that the line about swimming after troopships much antedates 1945. (Isn't the line usually, "In China they never eat chili"?)

  I've never heard of the dozens being waged in rhyme or according to any rules other than focusing mainly on yo' mama.

"hpst at earthlink.net" <hpst at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "hpst at earthlink.net"
Subject: Re: The Dozens

Jon,

Not the dozens but one of the many versions of the chorus to The Limerick
Song goes:

I yi yi yi.
Your mother swims after troop ships.
So sing me another verse that's worse than the other verse
And waltz me around again, Willy.

or alternatively:

Waltz me around by my willy.

"Roll Me Over in the Clover." is another one of those songs like "The
Quartermaster's Store" which are wonderful to sing in a group since you can
make up verses as you go along and in my experience we would all sing the
chorus and then someone or other would hold up their hand and either sing a
verse or limerick which they had heard before or make one up on the spur of
the moment.

They are traditional only in the sense that it was traditional that we
would all make up verses as the song progressed, and I doubt that any of us
remembered them more than a day or two after we invented them.

If I had a buck for every limerick verse I made up off the top of my head
to any of those songs I would be rich.

Sounds like the dozens to me.

Page Stephens

the Clover." Whether the rhyme was ever called "The Dozens" and, if so,
whether it lent its name to an older practice, seems unknowable at the
moment. Dollard, nearly seventy years ago, was obviously not persuaded.

> Is there additional documentary evidence that Dollard's rhyme, or
something like it, was ever widely "used in playing the Dozens"?

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> Subject: Re: The Dozens

---