Is Elmo (Sesame Street) a "Friend of Dorothy"

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Sun Jul 16 05:10:04 UTC 2006

As an historical note, I don't recall that we ever gave names to the various
fish, amphibians, and reptiles that came under our care and control back in
the notional ‘50s.  For one thing, they escaped, died, or ate each other too
fast to make naming worthwhile.  My sisters did insist on calling a grass
snake "Snavely", but we actually played with him.  I can see a wistful
little guy like Elmo, with a fish readily observable in a tank, giving it a
name as an expression of a desire to have some sort of personal
relationship.

As for your suggestion:  Oh, please.  Sometimes--no, all the time, a
goldfish is just a goldfish.

Seán Fitzpatrick
Why doesn't global warming just go up out of the ozone hole?
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/