Julius Squeezer; was: Re: Is Elmo (Sesame Street) a "Friend of Dorothy"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Jul 16 15:19:37 UTC 2006

Re: reptiles.  Some 20 years ago I read about a 4th-grade class that adopted a boa constrictor and named it Julius Squeezer.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Seán Fitzpatrick
Sent: Sun 7/16/2006 12:10 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is Elmo (Sesame Street) a "Friend of Dorothy"

As an historical note, I don't recall that we ever gave names to the various
fish, amphibians, and reptiles that came under our care and control back in
the notional '50s.  For one thing, they escaped, died, or ate each other too
fast to make naming worthwhile.  My sisters did insist on calling a grass
snake "Snavely", but we actually played with him.                                                                                                                               <snip>