AD SLICK

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jul 16 19:28:56 UTC 2006

I'm not aware of any particular Hollywood connection.

"Ad slick" is such a standard term in marketing circles that I never gave it
any thought. It's use is widespread in the marketing world.

Chicago Tribune, 27 Sep 1985, "20-year-old council the craft behind the
art," p. N23:
"We discussed with them what would be appropriate for the media. We made ad
slicks that we sent with the posters."

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
RonButters at AOL.COM
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 8:38 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: AD SLICK

Does AD SLICK appear in any dictionary? I have only been able to find it in
specialized glossaries. It appears to have started in Hollywood but then
moved
to general retail.

1
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/INDEX/ARTICLES/adslick.asp

AD SHEETS/SLICKS

     An ad sheet (also called an ad slick) is a page or pages of
camera-ready
ads of varying sizes that are used in print media such as newspapers and
magazines.

2.
http://retail.about.com/od/glossary/g/ad_slicks.htm
>>From Shari Waters
Definition: The final, camera-ready advertisement. It gets its name from the
glossy paper on which it is printed. Examples: The publication running our
advertisements sends an ad slick along with our invoice each month.