hoist by one's own petard

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 17 02:56:42 UTC 2006

You've seen a petard, then? ;-) IAC, I don't think that anyone thought
that I meant "shaped charge" in the modern sense. Well, I guess that
you did or you wouldn't have replied. I meant only that the charge
conformed to the shape of its container. A crude representation - not
the same as the illustration that I have in memory, but, nevertheless,
it's close enough for government work - of a 17th-century petard can
be found at

<www.tech.org/~cleary/petard.jpg/>

What shows up on my screen as a hyphen is actually a tilde. If this
doesn't work, try googling In Images for "petard ordnance"

-Wilson

On 7/16/06, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>
> Subject:      Re: hoist by one's own petard
>
> For the record, a petard is not a "shaped charge."  The principal behind the shaped charge was discovered by Munro in the 1880's and, as far as I know, first used in World War II in rocket-propelled anti-tank missiles such as the British PIAT, the German Panzerfaust, and the US bazooka.

> Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass