"change out a window", "paint out a shelf"

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Thu Jul 20 15:02:47 UTC 2006

------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
-

> "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
>

> A house painter today asked me about the addition of "out" to verbs that
> don't seem to need it.
>
> Sample:
> "Do you want these windows painted?"
> "No, we're gonna change out these windows."
> And:
> "We're gonna paint out that shelf."
>
> He tells me that he's heard these sentences from contractors and adds "I
> find that kinda annoying."
>
> Is this use of "change out" and "paint out" more than a localism?
>
> Gerald Cohen
> (in south central Missouri)
>
>  <<<<<
>
> I see your point about the shelf. But "change out" looks like it means
> 'replace". "Change these windows" could be used to describe modifications on
> the existing windows, and in other contexts the modification interpretation
> would be as salient as the replacement interpretation or more so. That gives
> good motivation for adding the particle to "change" 'replace'.
>
> -- Mark A. Mandel
> [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

I always wondered about the addition of 'of' to 'off'.

I find 'get something off of someone' grating.

I much prefer the simple 'get something off someone'.

--Neil Crawford