"change out a window", "paint out a shelf"

Evan Morris words1 at WORD-DETECTIVE.COM
Fri Jul 21 18:25:12 UTC 2006

Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
> A house painter today asked me about the addition of "out" to verbs that don't seem to need it.
> Sample:
> "Do you want these windows painted?"
> "No, we're gonna change out these windows."
> And:
> "We're gonna paint out that shelf."
>
> He tells me that he's heard these sentences from contractors and adds "I find that kinda annoying."
>
> Is this use of "change out" and "paint out" more than a localism?
>
> Gerald Cohen
> (in south central Missouri)

"Change out" and "swap out" are staples of (and have probably been
spread by) home-renovation shows on HGTV and the like (which I watch
only under duress ("Come look at how simple it is to replace
screens!")).  (It ain't simple, BTW.)

"Paint out" sounds like an overenthusiastic extension of the idiom.

--
Evan Morris
words1 at word-detective.com
www.word-detective.com