Beh-ril, burr'uhl, and burl

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 22 05:25:43 UTC 2006

I don't think Joel actually said, but the word is Beryl, as in Hurricane
Beryl (or was it just a Tropical Storm), which brushed Long Island and
far eastern New England today.

Beverly Flanigan wrote:
> I missed the start of this, but I assume the word is "barrel"?  In which
> case, maybe we have the near-merger Labov talks about in Philadelphia and
> environs whereby Mary, merry, marry, and Murray all have the schwar sound
> (i.e. rhyme with Murray)?  He has a perception test using Upper Merion and
> "Murray in" as near-rhymes.  I've also heard 'were' and 'where' as
> near-homophones, both with the 'Murray' sound.
>
> Beverly
>
> At 03:20 PM 7/21/2006, you wrote:
>> I, of Salt Lake City but edjicated, say "berr'-uhl".
>>

>> --- "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>>
>> > Do we have another "merry, Mary, marry"?  Various
>> > television
>> > personalities (are news readers and weather mappers
>> > "personalities"?)
>> > in the Northeast are saying
>> >
>> > beh-ril (like "trill")
>> > burr'uhl (like "mull") --many speakers
>> >     and
>> > burl (as in Ives the folk singer)
>> >
>> > Are these regional?  (I, of New York City but
>> > educated, say "beh-ril").
>> >
>> > Joel

>> > The American Dialect Society -
>> > http://www.americandialect.org
>> >

>> James D. SMITH                 |If history teaches anything
>> South SLC, UT                  |it is that we will be sued
>> jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com     |whether we act quickly and decisively
>>                                |or slowly and cautiously.

>> http://mail.yahoo.com

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963