possible antedate of indiscriminative "whatever"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jul 22 13:24:03 UTC 2006

Oral memory is elusive--one should hear the scene (wait for the next
repeat on Turner Classic Movies!).  But I don't remember a stress on
the second syllable, and do remember receiving the "recent voguish"
sense.  I think I remember that the speaker sounds resigned, and the
discussion moves on to another aspect of the crime.

Joel