Golden Sombrero (baseball slang)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 23 12:26:15 UTC 2006

GOLDEN SOMBRERO--55,400 Google hits
Alex Rodriguez (some New York Yankee player, supposedly good and with a following in the Dominican Republic) struck out four times last night. He received the "golden sombrero."
Maybe someone with FACTIVA or The Sporting News can check this. Any HDAS entry?
(GOOGLE NEWS)
Fielding karma seeps into bat
Newsday, NY - 2 hours ago
... Rodriguez's fielding struggles turned into hitting ones as he struck out in all four of his at-bats, marking only the second "golden sombrero" of his career. ...
(GOOGLE)
List of baseball jargon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Golden Sombrero: One who strikes out four times in one game is said to have gotten the Golden Sombrero. golfing: Swinging at a pitch obviously outside of ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_jargon - 115k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Outing #2...And the tale of the Golden Sombrero.
Well, the arm is getting back in shape pretty quickly.... I had pretty good
stuff last night. Couldn't find the plate with my curveball ...
rec.sport.baseball - May 26 1992, 2:35 am by Jim Dean - 2 messages - 2 authors

JUST CURIOUS....
... I like hearing about the latest time that Huckabay got saddled with the Golden Sombrero
*and* walked 10 batters ala Randy Johnson in the same game. ...
rec.sport.baseball - Jul 10 1992, 3:28 am by Dave Lundyphobic Kirsch - 13 messages - 13 authors