Antedating of "Determinism"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Jul 24 11:16:09 UTC 2006

> determinism (OED 1846)
>
> 1838 _Foreign Quarterly Review_ July 270 (Periodicals Archive Online)  For
> twenty long years did the demon of determinism lie, like a night-mare,
> upon his soul, till at last the redemption came.
>
> Fred Shapiro

I often find these antedatings quite interesting. I also often appreciate it
when they are annotated, for example, that a recent item was a
translation from
Humboldt. In another instances, it was interesting to see that
"Egyptology" was
used favorablly in a review of Gliddon but unfavorably in a review of Bunsen.
In this case I wonder who was this soul reportedly dramatically transformed?
And was the nature of the "demon" was further described? There are, perhaps,
different sorts of determinism. Our library doesn't have Periodical Archive
Online. I suppose I could go to the Rare Book Room. In any case, if I may note
or suggest it, sometimes a little more context helps a lot, and is
appreciated,
at least by me. Thanks.

Stephen Goranson